Marissa Longsworth, LL.B, LLM, CLE
Intellectual Property Law and Management ⋅ Media, Entertainment and Broadcasting Law ⋅ ICT Law ⋅ Internet Policy and Governance ⋅ Pesticide Registrations ⋅ Commercial Contracts ⋅ Commercial Fraud ⋅ Corporate ⋅ Public and Administrative Law ⋅ Probate ⋅ Private International Law ⋅ Immigration Law ⋅ Real Estate ⋅ Banking
Miss Longsworth is an Attorney-at-Law, called to the Bar in Jamaica in 2012 and in Belize in 2015. She is currently living in Belize and is the In-House Attorney for CILGlobal IP, an intellectual property management company, as well as a consulting Attorney for the law firm of Glenn D. Godfrey & Company LLP. Miss Longsworth previously held the post of Manager of the Copyright & Related Rights Directorate at the Jamaica Intellectual Property Office (JIPO), a statutory body of the Government of Jamaica. Her past work experience also includes three years with the legal department of the Gleaner Company Limited in Jamaica, now RJRGleaner Communications Group, one of the largest multi-media news agencies in the region. She also briefly served as an Adjunct Tutor in Tort II Law, and Legal Methods, Research and Writing with the Faculty of Law of the University of the West Indies, Mona Campus, Jamaica.
Miss Longsworth has assisted with policy papers and recommendations for the Government of Belize on creative industries and broadcasting. In 2016 she was granted a World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) consultancy, her second such commissioning having worked previously with the Government of Trinidad & Tobago, for the development of a National Intellectual Property Audit and Strategy for Belize which aims to outline recommendations for integrating intellectual property into Belize’s business and social environments to encourage entrepreneurship, innovation, and creativity. It has been endorsed by WIPO and presented to the Government of Belize, where it is awaiting Cabinet approval.
Outside of her career, Miss Longsworth proudly serves on the Executive Council of the Belize Chamber of Commerce and Industry as its Vice President of Services.
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators & University of the West Indies, Open Campus, Belize (Advanced Certificate in International Arbitration, 2016)
- World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) eAcademy (Certified Completion of Advanced Course on Intellectual Property Management; 2015)
- University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, Scotland (Master of Laws in Internet Law & Policy (Merit), 2014)
- Norman Manley Law School, Kingston, Jamaica (Certificate in Legal Education, 2012)
- University of the West Indies, Cave Hill, Barbados (Bachelor of Law [LL.B] (Honours), 2009)
- Belize Chamber of Commerce and Industry (BCCI) (Vice President, Services; 2018-2020 term)
- Bar Association of Belize (Member)